Health care providers need trusted legal advisors to help navigate one of the most complex and highly-regulated industries in the country. The right advisor can steer a health care organization away from danger areas and help address compliance issues and risk areas so health care providers can do what they do best—taking care of patients. So why choose Smith Moore Leatherwood?
We know your business.
Our attorney team includes:
- Two attorneys with over 30 years of health care experience
- Former hospital in-house counsel
- Former hospital board trustee
- Former assisted living facility board members
- Two current continuing care retirement community board members
- Hospice board member
- Registered nurse
- Hospital Ethics Committee members
- Former Institutional Review Board member
- Former member of informal task force to revise State Medicaid provider agreement
- Attorneys with certificates in nonprofit management and health policy
With clients in more than 25 states and across the spectrum of health care providers, we bring real-world experience and knowledge gained through ongoing participation in the health care industry to every engagement.
We are there when you need us.
Crises can arise 24/7, especially for health care organizations that operate around the clock. We pride ourselves on being available to our clients during crises.
- We have served as general counsel on an interim basis for a health system with multiple facilities and locations, providing 24 hour on-call service.
- We have provided 24-hour, on-call and on-site support to prevent fast track decertification for a hospital facing a third EMTALA revisit.
- We routinely support clients during surveys with real-time remote review of medical records, as well as on-site support when requested to prepare plans of correction, review and update policies and procedures, and prepare for and meet with surveyors.
- We have prepared court pleadings, affidavits, and other materials on short notice to seek injunctive relief if necessary to prevent decertification resulting from immediate jeopardy deficiencies.
- We provide on-site investigation and legal advice in crisis incidents that occur day and night.
- We have sought court orders at all hours to permit medically necessary care in the face of family objections and to enforce the desires of the terminally ill to die with dignity.
We know the industry—where it's been, and where it's going.
Health care is dynamic and ever-changing. Health care attorneys have to be able to connect the dots between past and present and can never stop learning. Our attorneys stay abreast of health care policy and industry changes and work to impact those policies through the following organizations:
- American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
- American Society for Healthcare Risk Management, NC Chapter
- National Rural Health Association
- North Carolina Healthcare Information and Communications Alliance
- Georgia Health Information Management Association
- North Carolina Hospital Association (NCHA)
- South Carolina Hospital Association (SCHA)
- Georgia Hospital Association (GHA)
- North Carolina Health Care Facilities Association (NCHCFA)
- American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA)
- American Bar Association Health Law Section
- North Carolina Bar Association Health Law Section
- Georgia Bar Association Health Law Section
- North Carolina Society of Health Care Attorneys
- Georgia Academy of Healthcare Attorneys
- Georgia Association of Healthcare Executives
Questions? Contact our practice area leader, Maureen Demarest Murray, at 336.378.5258 or email@example.com to learn more about our team and the services we can offer to you.