For 15 years Kurt Rozelsky has defended litigation matters throughout South Carolina and the Southeast. Kurt focuses his practice on the defense of transportation matters, product liability claims, and other technical and expert driven litigation. With over 35 jury verdicts to date, Kurt's depth of experience enables him to focus not only on issues leading up to trial, but on practical and cost effective solutions to his clients' disputes.
In the transportation arena, Kurt has handled numerous catastrophic injury and fatality matters and has assisted his clients in making the difficult decisions with regard to retention of involved personnel, engagement of technical experts, and dealing with federal and state regulations related to the transportation industry. Kurt has spoken at a number of national conferences on issues involving electronic discovery in the trucking industry, direct claims against the motor carrier, and preparation of the corporate witness and truck driver.
On products liability matters, Kurt has assisted clients in the defense of a variety of consumer and industrial products including aerosol cans, automotive components, food processing systems, ladders, and a number of other products. Kurt's experience in these areas enables him to quickly translate the technical matters into common themes that resonate with juries.
J.D., cum laude, University of Georgia School of Law, 1994
B.A., Foreign Affairs, University of Virginia, 1990
United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
United States District Court, District of South Carolina
United States District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- South Carolina Lawyers Weekly's Leadership in Law Award, 2012
- South Carolina Super Lawyers, Listed Transportation/Maritime (2009, 2010, 2012, 2013)
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America® (Woodward/White, Inc.), Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants (2008-2013), Product Liability Litigation-Defendants (2008-2013)
- Greenville Business Magazine's Legal Elite, Commercial Transportation, 2012
- Selected by Benchmark Litigation as a Future Star, South Carolina, 2009
- Greenville Magazine's Best & Brightest Under 35, 1999
- Martindale-Hubbell's top ("AV") Peer Review Rating *
* CV, BV, and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedure's standards and policies.
- Defense Research Institute Trucking Law Committee, Vice Chair
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, Commercial Transportation Committee, Vice Chair
- American Bar Association, Commercial Transportation Litigation Committee, Vice Chair 2005-08
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- South Carolina Bar
- State Bar of Georgia
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association
Civic and Community Service
- Alliance for Quality Education
- Greenville United Way, Palmetto Society Board of Directors and the Young Philanthropists Council
- Leadership Greenville, Board of Regents
- Greenville Literacy Association
- Compass of Carolina, Inc.
- Upstate South Carolina University of Virginia Alumni Association
Kurt has authored numerous articles on transportation and products liability issues, including:
- "Distracted Driving & the Mobile Workforce," SML Perspectives, December 2010
- Emerging Issues in E-Discovery: The Challenge for the Motor Carrier, FDCC Quarterly, Vol. 58, No. 3, Spring 2008
- Kill the Messenger and the Message, Ethical Dilemmas That Arise in Trucking Litigation from a Lack of Client Cooperation in Discovery, American Bar Association, The Brief, Fall 2004