Smith Moore Leatherwood represents developers, lenders, sellers, purchasers and both national and local financial institutions in the development, financing, sale, purchase and lease of commercial, industrial, and residential properties throughout the Southeast and beyond. With the input of our tax and corporate departments, sophisticated commercial real estate transactions involving hybrid interests and entities can be structured and financed with creativity and flexibility.
Our practice covers every aspect of the development process:
- Development and Acquisitions - Site evaluation and land use planning; contract drafting and negotiation; assistance with acquisition property; acquisition and financing arrangements during all stages of a project; performing, reviewing and analyzing due diligence in regard to title, survey, environmental risk and zoning issues; preparation of leases, covenants and other agreements necessary for the development, management and operation of apartments, condominiums, residential subdivisions, office buildings, shopping centers, industrial facilities and other properties
- Finance - Structuring transactions; due-diligence investigations; documenting and closing all types of financing arrangements; assisting institutional and individual investors and lenders who finance real estate acquisitions, development, and construction as well as owners, investors, and developers in search of debt and equity capital.
- Entity Formation and Tax Structuring - Advising owners, developers, and investors on the anticipated tax consequences of various real estate transactions and form business entities designed to achieve their tax objectives.
- Bankruptcy & Creditor's Rights - Providing advice to clients facing bankruptcy, foreclosure, and other workouts of problem loans collateralized in whole or in part with real estate. Structuring loans and other transactions to minimize the risks inherent to bankruptcy proceedings.
- Condemnation and Eminent Domain - Working with private landowners and real estate developers on right of way acquisition projects and expanding public roadways; transferring of property interests, negotiation with private landowners, review and analysis of title and survey documentation, and litigating condemnation actions, and disputes involving real estate agreements and leases.
Smith Moore Leatherwood is pleased to serve as authorized agents for Lawyers Title Insurance Corporation, Commonwealth Land Title Insurance Company, Chicago Title Insurance Company, and First American Title Insurance Company. Members of the firm are also approved attorneys for other national title insurance companies licensed in South Carolina.