Kurt M. Rozelsky
Kurt Rozelsky is a battle-tested trial lawyer with an intrinsic capacity to put his clients at ease. As a Partner in the firm, Kurt focuses his practice on commercial litigation, product liability claims involving consumer and industrial products, transportation matters, professional liability, class actions, and other technical and expert driven litigation.
Kurt attributes his long-term relationships with clients to an ability to offer cost effective, pragmatic advice, and to a spirited sense of humor that is sometimes necessary when facing stressful circumstances. During his 20-year career, Kurt’s clients have ranged from local businesses to regional real estate developers to international product manufacturers and everything in between. Kurt's broad range of clients and experience enables him to bring creative problem-solving to every case.
In the transportation arena, Kurt has handled numerous catastrophic injury and fatality matters and has assisted clients in making difficult decisions with regard to retention of involved personnel, engagement of technical experts, and dealing with the transportation industry's federal and state regulations. Kurt has used his depth of experience to speak at a number of national conferences on issues involving electronic discovery in the trucking industry, direct claims against the motor carrier, and preparation of the corporate witness and truck driver.
Kurt is active in the community, especially with education and children's issues. He assists Public Education Partners as an active Board Member, collaborating with educators and elected officials to support and strengthen public education and student achievement in Greenville County Schools. He is also greatly involved with the United Way as a member of the Campaign Cabinet and a former member of the Palmetto Society Board of Directors and Chair of the Young Philanthropists Council.
J.D., cum laude, University of Georgia School of Law, 1994
B.A., Foreign Affairs, University of Virginia, 1990
- United States District Court, District of South Carolina
- United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- South Carolina
- South Carolina Lawyers Weekly's Leadership in Law Award, 2012
- South Carolina Super Lawyers, Listed Transportation/Maritime (2009, 2010, 2012-2014)
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America® (Woodward/White, Inc.), Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants, Product Liability Litigation-Defendants (2008-2015)
- Greenville Business Magazine's Legal Elite, Commercial Transportation, 2012
- Selected by Benchmark Litigation as a Future Star, South Carolina, 2009
- Greenville Magazine's Best & Brightest Under 35, 1999
- Martindale-Hubbell's top ("AV") Peer Review Rating *
* CV, BV, and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedure's standards and policies.
- Associate, American Board of Trial Advocates
- DRI: The Voice of the Defense Bar, Trucking Law Committee, Chair 2010-12, Vice-Chair 2008-10
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, Commercial Transportation Section, Chair 2013-15
- American Bar Association, Commercial Transportation Litigation Committee, Vice Chair 2005-08
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- South Carolina Bar
- State Bar of Georgia
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association
Civic and Community Service
- Public Education Partners of Greenville County formerly Alliance for Quality Education, Board Member
- Greenville United Way, Campaign Cabinet, Palmetto Society Board of Directors and the Young Philanthropists Council (past Chair)
- Compass of Carolina, Inc., past Board Chair
- Greenville Literacy Association, past Board Member
- Leadership Greenville, past Board of Regents
- Upstate South Carolina University of Virginia Alumni Association, past President
- Tried more than 35 cases in State and Federal courts in several states
- Defended numerous catastrophic loss claims related to products liability across industries including manufacturing, industrial machinery, electrical products, aerosols, food service, and ladder manufacturers
- Handles claims everything from defense of truck liability claims to regional catastrophic claims for major transportation companies; works with internal safety compliance departments; risk management; and training recommendations
- Defended professional liability claims for attorneys, doctors, and for pharmacists working for a national pharmacy chain
- Defended regional real estate developer in contractual matters arising out of large scale development projects
Kurt has authored numerous articles on transportation and products liability issues, including:
- "Distracted Driving & the Mobile Workforce," SML Perspectives, December 2010
- Emerging Issues in E-Discovery: The Challenge for the Motor Carrier, FDCC Quarterly, Vol. 58, No. 3, Spring 2008
- Kill the Messenger and the Message, Ethical Dilemmas That Arise in Trucking Litigation from a Lack of Client Cooperation in Discovery, American Bar Association, The Brief, Fall 2004
* Past success does not indicate the likelihood of success in any future legal representation.