The firm represents both large and small trucking companies as insureds on behalf of numerous national insurance companies and as self-insureds. In addition, the firm has served for many years as outside General Counsel for a nationally recognized commercial vehicle insurer and is experienced in all aspects of transportation law including issues involving federal and state statutes and regulations promulgated by the former Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC), the successor Surface Transportation Board, the Department of Transportation and the Public Service Commission.
Smith Moore Leatherwood has represented transportation clients in litigation scenarios, including the following:
- Truck accident litigation
- Employment (drivers and other personnel)
- Workers compensation (including owner-operator/independent contractor issues)
- Freight charge collections (including "double payment" cases)
- Freight claims
- Contract disputes
- Public Service Commission & FMCSA Authority
Members of the firm are also engaged in representing Transportation companies and their owners in:
- Transportation contract drafting and review
- Employment advice and planning
- ERISA plans
- Wealth transfer management
- Corporate planning and structuring
- Real estate purchase and finance
Emergency Response Team
As part of the array of transportation services provided to firm clients, an after-hours emergency response team is standing by to service clients with urgent needs following a catastrophic accident. The team has handled numerous night time and weekend emergencies for our clients.
Members of the emergency response team take responsibility for preserving physical and electronic evidence, taking driver and witness statements, making arrangements for cargo salvage, and managing relations with law enforcement.
Click here for a full contact list of our Emergency Response Team.